Packing efficiently for kids is a skill. I always find myself feeling unsure about whether I am over- or under-packing. We recently went to a resort in Mexico as a family and it made me realise how much planning goes into packing properly for beach vacations.
Here is a list of things that I took for my kids (ages 7 months and 6 years). I am basically pasting this list straight from my iPhone notes. I have left only what I felt was essential and removed anything that I didn’t end up using. In short, this is a super list as far as beach and resort vacations are concerned.
Each kid gets a small personal item as well as a carry-on. All the stuff that I need in the airplane and during the rest of the duration of travel is what I keep in the kids’ “Personal Items.” Backpacks work best as they can easily be kept under the airplane seat. The rest of the kids’ stuff can easily fit in their carry-ons and older kids can especially help wheel around their own carry-ons. We wanted to avoid having too many items at the airport with little kids and with a stroller as well, so we just went with checked baggage.
These lists work well for a 7 day trip (or beyond as long as you can wash and dry clothes).
Baby – 7 month old
Diaper Bag (personal item)
- 1 extra complete Airplane outfit (onesie + pants + hoodie + socks)
- 2 extra pairs of pants + 2 extra full sleeve shirts
- Diaper changing kit (Diapers + Wipes + change mat + disposable diaper garbage bags)
- Face and Hand Wipes
- Snacks (squeezable baby food puree pouches, rusks, cereal such as cheerios, other favourite snacks)
- 3 small toys
- 1 book
- Baby Tylenol for fever
- O-drops for gas pain
Baby’s Luggage/Carry-on Items
- 5 day/night outfits (mix and match t-shirts and shorts + overalls)
- 2 swimsuits (sun hat + shirts + shorts)
- 1 swim diaper
- 1 pair of sandals
- 1 pair of shoes
- Snacks (baby food purees etc)
- Some Beach / Water toys
- Inflatable Toys and Floatie Boat (Dollar store and Amazon) & Small Air Pump (optional as it is often available at the resort)
Daughter, 6 years old
Backpack (personal item)
- 1 extra airplane outfit (pants + hoodie + shirt)
- Snacks (Granola Bars, Cookies, Banana, Nuts, Gum etc)
- 2 Books to read
- iPad loaded with favourite games & movies
- Colouring sheets + crayons
- Tissue packs
- Kids Tylenol for fever/pain
- Benadryl for allergies
Kids’ Luggage/Carry-on Items
- 5 day/night outfits (mix & match t-shirts, skirts + dresses)
- 2 swimsuits (hats + shirts + shorts)
- 1 pair of sandals
- 1 pair of non-slip water/swimming shoes
- Hair pins, hair brush and other accessories
- Extra Snacks
- Some Beach Toys
- Inflatable swim arm bands
If you have kids around the same age, I hope this list is helpful for you. I can imagine referring back to it for my future trips as well.
Until next time, ciao ciao!