Warning: This is going to be a long post. I will be releasing it in 4 parts. But I’ve split each part into further smaller subheading and sections so you can scroll down and only read whichever section interests you. If you want the whole scoop, you better read it all! 🙂
This post is requested by many of my followers on Instagram @theinspiredaccountant who are either thinking of / are pursuing the CPA designation. Which is a bit annoying because the whole point of my Instagram is to NOT think about accounting. But at the same time I think you know what? The more people I can SAVE from this profession, the better. I’m only kidding! 😀 I’m finally writing about my journey and hoping that somehow something I write can help someone somewhere. If you have specific question, don’t hesitate to ask me in the comments below, drop me a comment or a Direct Message on Instagram.
Overview of my CPA Journey
My time in the CPA profession is super short and quite straight forward, for the most part. But it definitely feels like it started ages ago! Here is a little timeline of this crazy journey so you have an idea of how lengthy it can be.
- 2007: Graduated high school and decided to go into Business instead of Sciences
- 2007: Started my BBA program at University
- 2009: Completed my first summer internship at a Big Four Accounting Firm
- 2010: Completed my second summer internship at the same Big Four Accounting Firm
- 2011: Completed my BBA and started working full time at the same Big Four firm
- 2013: Wrote and passed my first professional CPA exam & then took a year off for maternity leave
- 2014: Came back from maternity leave and wrote and passed my remaining two professional CPA Exams
- 2015: Completed my work experience requirements and qualified for my CPA (finally)
- 2015: Left Big 4 Firm and moved into industry
This timeline above spans a period of 8.5 years! (more…)